Meet Forensic Expert and Forensiq Founder, Thomas P. Mauriello, M.F.S.
December 28, 2023
Thomas Mauriello is ForensIQ’s President and CEO. He is an educator, author, forensic consultant, and public speaker who teaches criminal justice and forensic sciences at the University of Maryland. He is a sought after forensic sciences consultant.
Mauriello has over 50 years of experience in the law enforcement and counterintelligence fields. This includes seven years as a police officer and investigator and 30 years as a Special Agent with the U.S. Department of Defense. His assignments with DoD included:
- Special Agent
- Chief of Police
- Senior Polygraph Examiner
- Director, Occupational Health, Environmental and Safety Services
- Director, Interagency OPSEC Support Staff (IOSS)
- Deputy Director for Security Education, Training and Awareness
- Congressional Staff Investigator for the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations
- Chief of Polygraph for the Associate Directorate for Security and Counterintelligence
He has 45+ years experience as a college adjunct professor for the University of Maryland Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice teaching academic courses, workshops and training in criminal justice, criminal investigations and forensic sciences/criminalistics.
In 1980, he created and has managed the University of Maryland Teaching Crime Laboratory.
As a forensic sciences consultant, Tom is regularly interviewed for newspaper, television and radio news media. He has appeared on ABC World News Tonight and CBS Sunday Morning News; and Fox and MSNBC cable news shows.
He has been featured on television documentaries including: The Discovery Channel’s Lizzie Borden Had An Ax; and Investigation Discovery (ID) Channel’s series, Forensics: You Decide and Reasonable Doubt.
Tom hosted his own weekly YouTube channel show called ForensicWeek.com for a number of years.
His vast public speaking experience includes the presentation of counterintelligence awareness briefings and forensic science lectures at numerous universities and law schools; as well as his motivational seminar on public speaking communications, Motivation through Communication.
In April 2011, Tom formed a forensic consultant company, ForensIQ, Inc. His company provides forensic investigation services; criminal case & evidence assessments; security & counterintelligence services; education, training, awareness and motivational public speaking presentations; and news media and film and TV production consultation.
- Fellow – American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- Active member – International Association for Identification
- Active member – Maryland Polygraph Association
- Advisory Committee Member – Center for Forensic Excellence of Maryland
- DoD, Exceptional Civilian Service Award
- NCMS – Society for Industrial Security Professionals, President’s Award and Donald B. Woodbridge Award
- Master of Forensic Sciences – The George Washington University – Washington, DC (1976)
- Bachelors of Arts in Criminology – Suffolk University – Boston, MA (1973)